Assistant News Director/KXAN-TV 07-2011-Present
- Responsible for leading day to day newsroom operations.
- Coach producers and reporters to deliver brand focused story telling resulting in the first 5pm sweeps win in station history and the first 6pm sweeps win in a decade.
- Plan and execute daily news and special report strategies to ensure continued double digit viewership growth, resulting in back to back sweeps wins in November, February, and May.
- Manage sweeps and special projects calendar.
- Provide daily script approval for reporters and multi-platform journalists
- Conduct in-depth story writing and development sessions with reporters and anchors
- Coordinate ATXpansion live town hall series. Quarterly live, interactive, on location broadcasts focusing on key issues pertaining to growth in Central Texas.
- Hire reporters and multi-platform journalists
- Conduct employee reviews and coaching sessions
- Selected as fellow for the International Center for Journalists U.S. Pakistan Professional Partnership in Journalism Program
- Planned and supervised work assignments and cultural tours & programs for international journalist exchange program embeds from Pakistan, Nigeria, and Russia
Executive Producer & Military Reporter /NBC San Diego/KNSD TV 3/2007 – 07/2011
- Responsible for coordinating the overall presentation of editorial content in the early evening newscasts.
- Launched “San Diego News Now” a daily 4pm newscast laser focused on attracting women in the key 25-54 demographic.
- Developed a successful Social Media Strategy to engage viewers on multiple platforms and incorporate viewer-generated content in the newscasts.
- Implemented new rundown format and tease strategies for early evening newscasts resulting in double-digit year to year growth in households and key demos in consecutive ratings periods.
- Created a successful coverage and logistical plan for the 2008 U.S. Open at Torrey Pines that resulted in more than five live special Programs, more than 100 live shots for newscasts in all day parts, unique coverage for the website. Exceeded ratings and revenue goals by 50%.
- Developed orientation and training plans for new employees
- Hired top talent in key Producer, Associate Producer, and writing positions.
- Conducted yearly employee evaluations.
- Prepared and delivered ratings analysis and strategy presentations.
- Transitioned to role as Military Reporter in December 2009
- Specialized in covering military affairs in San Diego. Established strong working relationships with key Navy and Marine Corps leaders.
- Operated as a “One Man Band” journalist shooting, writing, and editing stories for broadcast. Published multimedia content on digital platforms.
- Created and launched “HomeStation: San Diego” the first local newscast designed for deployed troops.
- Coordinated a broadcast media job shadow program for active duty military public affairs officers to foster a better understanding of newsroom operations.
Acting News Director/FOX 16/ KLRT-TV, Little Rock, AR 12/2006 – 3/2007
- Served as Department Head for a 25 person newsroom, responsible for all broadcast and online content produced by FOX16.
- Successfully managed operating budget of 1.2 million dollars, reduced expenses and found new opportunities to increase revenue.
- Prepared and delivered monthly budget reports to the Station Manager.
- Managed the successful launch of an hour-long 5pm newscast.
Assistant News Director/FOX16/ KLRT-TV, Little Rock, AR 3/2006 – 12/2006
- Responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the newsroom.
- Improved writing, story telling, rundown organization, showcasing, and overall on- air performance as a result of a targeted plan to provide more focused editorial direction for reporters, producers and anchors.
- Significant year to year growth in viewers in key demographics by ensuring news coverage hits key areas outlined in viewer research with brand focused newscasts.
- Created new webcasts, increasing visits to the KLRT website.
- Conducted employee evaluations.
Managing Editor /FOX 2 Detroit/ WJBK-TV, Detroit, MI 7/2003 – 7/2005
- Responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of a seven person Assignment Desk.
- Implemented a reorganization plan that resulted in a more aggressive approach to covering breaking news resulting in greater efficiency and increased local story count.
- Provided editorial direction for a staff of 10 reporters and 35 Photographers and Editors that resulted in better overall story telling.
- Reformatted the four hour broadcast, “Fox 2 News Morning”. Changes lead to dramatic year-to-year growth in viewers in key demographics making the newscast number one in its time period.
- Additional duties included guiding Producers, approving rundowns, proofing scripts, booking celebrity guests and topical segments, Coordinating special coverage for major events including: North American International Auto Show, Ryder Cup, MLB All-Star Game, Motown Winter Blast.
Managing Editor/WNEM-TV, Saginaw, MI 7/2002 – 7/2003
- Reorganized the Assignment Desk, strengthening the News Department’s ability to react quickly to breaking news.
- Streamlined the story assignment process to allow reporters and photographers to cover stories more quickly.
- Created coverage plans for major events such as Election Night, Governor’s Inauguration, Columbia Shuttle Disaster, 9-11 Anniversary.
- Developed and produced stories for sweeps calendars. Provided script approval and editorial guidance for reporters. Developed new sources and contacts to improve enterprise reporting.
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT
Happily provided upon request.